A new social media platform has been invading the digital world for the last few months, and it’s showing no signs of abating. TikTok is a cultural reset of a massive magnitude.
While giants such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook still remain relevant in an ever-changing digital era, TikTok has entered the arena to great fanfare, especially amongst generation Z.
So, what exactly is TikTok?
TikTok is a social network for video sharing. Created in 2016 by Chinese tech company Bytedance, its popularity among digital natives is mainly due to its novelty value and easy-to-use video creation interface.
With TikTok, users can create and upload a video of up to 15 seconds long adding music, filters, editing effects or using lip sync.
According to recent studies, the social network has over 524 million active users worldwide and over 250 million daily users in China.
Here are some insights you should know about the app:
- With a total of one billion downloads worldwide, TikTok was one of the most popular apps of 2018
- Due to its significant rising popularity, TikTok is now available to download in 154 countries
- On a monthly basis, videos created on TikTok earn 17 billion average views
But why is TikTok so successful?
TikTok offers the opportunity to take part in daily challenges that keep users engaged – popular challenges include:
- Haribo Challenge – Arranging hundreds of gummy bears as a crowd while Adele’s “Someone Like You” plays in the background
- Fake Travel Challenge – Using everyday objects and pictures to mimic travel photos to comedic effect
- Raindrop Challenge – Adding dramatic visual effects that mimic a rain shower and halting the rain in accordance with music beats
On top of this, the app allows users free reign to tap into their creativity, enhancing their freedom of expression and interpretation.
And it’s important to keep in mind that what might work on other social media platforms might not work on TikTok. As opposed to Instagram, TikTok people aren’t afraid of being silly. You need to show your lighter side here. Ridicule never killed anyone after all!
Some brands such as Calvin Klein, Sony or FIFA are already killing it on TikTok, so will the app become a game changer in terms of brand marketing?
Even though influencer marketing is not yet a widespread practice on the app, we believe that it’s just a matter of time. With more than 500 million active users all over the world, the potential to reach the right audience is massive! In addition, TikTok is free and visual!
While TikTok is yet to gain a market share that rivals the likes of Instagram and Facebook, the new platform is undeniably gaining momentum, so how long will it take you to join the social movement and share your creative video compilation?
Get in touch